Monday, July 6, 2009

the Purist's Confession

One thing you must know about me from the get-go...I am notorious for altering recipes and not writing down what I did. I do not always pay attention to how much I have used. Why do we need to measure everything? I don't. There are some things that just go better with a pinch of this, a dash of that or a mess of the other. So, please forgive my kitchen talk...it isn't always precise, but I mean precisely what I say!



That being said, I do also like to find more edifying versions of things which have been blindly used in the past. Like, Cream of Anything Soup. With my apologies to Mr. Campbell, soup isn't always good food. So, here is what I have found works for me. Cream. Fresh, skimmed off the top before Sam gets to the milk jar. So, for every recipe that calls for Cream of Whatever Soup, I use real cream with whatever makes up the flavor that is poorly imitated by partially hydrogenated ick, soy protein, msg, etc. You know, the bad stuff. Our highly processed past has been left behind for the things that they were made to imitate, albeit poorly so. So, you will find here no low-fat recipes or artificial anything. I am a purist in that sense. I use cream, butter, sea salt and pure vanilla (among other things...and generously). And when something is available fresh, all the better.



Now, on to the debut...



Tuna Noodle Casserole for Barbara



1 lb organic pasta, cooked according to directions (I used rotini this time with great success)

5 small cans albacore tuna (you do the math, this is what we had)

2 large spoons of no-soy mayo (bring out the Hellmanns and bring out the best!)...about 1.25 cups

1 vidalia onion, diced

2 handfuls of white cheddar, shredded (read: 1.5-2 cups)

Cream (about 1 cup mixed with about 1.5 TBS flour and a TBS or so of chicken base...this time...stirred together over medium heat until slightly thickened, but not to the consistency of what gets dumped from a can)



Mix all these just until incorporated, with salt & pepper to taste. Pour into a casserole dish and top with one sleeve of crushed crackers (Townhouse for me...no matter what is in them...I know, hypocrisy) mixed with half a stick of melted butter. Bake at 350 degrees (F) for about 15 minutes, or until bubbly on the sides.



Serve to a friend who needs comfort...guests when Daddy isn't home ('cause he doesn't like tuna)...or just because your daughter has a hankering for it. Or Mama does. But, you must have a glass of iced tea.

1 comment:

  1. OMYGAWSH!!! Was this GOOD!! I love Tuna and Noodle Casserole but this took it to a whole new level!! I had only ever had the crm of Campbell's version which I will never again be able to eat! I had *2* helpings and could've had 3 but then wouldn't've been able to walk away from the table! Thank you Stacey!

    ReplyDelete